Penzance Town Deal
Town Deal Themes
Urban regeneration, planning and land use: Ensuring towns are thriving places for people to live and work, including by: increasing density in town centres; strengthening local economic assets including local cultural assets; site acquisition, remediation, preparation, regeneration; and making full use of planning tools to bring strategic direction and change.
Skills and enterprise infrastructure: Driving private sector investment and ensuring towns have the space to support skills and small business development.
Connectivity: Developing local transport schemes that complement regional and national
Town Deal Objectives
- Improving the quality of employment and enterprise opportunities, in particular within the priority sectors identified in the Neighbourhood Development Plan by supporting investments that will:
- Reduce the wage gap and target high value / high GVA industries
- Result in secure employment, including reducing the proportion of part time, zero hours and seasonal only employment.
- Provide quality career opportunities for local young people
- Create inclusive employment opportunities ensuring people who have previously been excluded from the labour market can access work
- Lead to a skilled workforce
- Attract inward investment and draw new business to Penzance
- Broaden the economic base of the town
- Promote, support and encourage local enterprise
- Support innovation to raise productivity so that businesses can grow
- Provide opportunities for people to establish businesses which support a sustainable economy
- Enhance opportunities for joined up working between the voluntary and business sectors
2. Improving the built environment by supporting investments that will:
- Repurpose redundant/under-utilised buildings in PZ & Newlyn to support town centre living; work space/infrastructure for core business sectors; meet local need
- Deliver contemporary uses and sustainable futures for buildings with heritage and cultural value
- Improve public realm, improve and extend green spaces and rekindle civic pride
- Support adaptation of the town centre and town deal zone with new or regenerated spaces for; homes that meet local need; sustainable businesses and; leisure & health.
- Increase connectivity between people and places including the town centre and waterfront, reduce vehicle dominance and increase fully accessible pedestrian & cycleways.
3. Maximise our natural and green capital as an economic and social resource by supporting investment interventions that will:
- Reconnect people and places to their natural environment in particular the waterfront
- Ensuring that the linkages between Penzance and its rural hinterlands are strengthened so that the economic benefits of regeneration are felt across by people and communities in the
surrounding area that use Penzance.
- Create or grow affordable, sustainable travel solutions
- Enhance accessibility of our coast and rural hinterland for local people and visitors
- Promote sustainable consumption, production and the responsible use of natural resources