PZ Healthy Streets
Introducing a town wide 20mph zone formed part of the February 2021 consultation on Healthy Streets, after requests/feedback from the community during the Neighbourhood Plan Survey, Penzance Exp and The Cornwall We Want survey.
The consultation was carried out through:
- Healthy Street Penzance opinion survey hosted on the ‘Lets Talk’ website.
- Pre-consultation engagement with directly affected properties on Western Promenade Road and Alexandra Road by means of a targeted letter drop
- Statutory consultation for the 20mph speed limits and the schemes on Western Promenade Road and Alexandra Road.
- Site visits with local stakeholders
- Engagement with disability groups and charities
During the consultation the public expressed widespread support for the move and as a result the scheme was introduced in Summer 2021. Around 100 new 20 mph signs have been erected across the town, with the new speed limit in these areas coming into operation at the end of July. Plans are now being looked at to extend the 20mph zone to Treneere and there have been requests from other areas of the town for 20 mph zones.
There will also be new speed monitoring and signage on New Road with the aim of reducing traffic speeds travelling towards Newlyn.
Do you live, work or visit Penzance? The Healthy Streets PZ team has developed proposals for the second phase of the scheme and want to hear YOUR views. Developed last
News that Penzance has been chosen as one of three areas in Cornwall to share £607,000 of Government funding to improve local cycling and walking routes has been welcomed by